Reminder To C-61/D-49 Contractors: New C-49 License Takes Effect Jan. 1, 2024

A friendly reminder to all C-61-/D-49 contractors: your license is changing! Any contractor working on tree trimming jobs will require a C-49 License in roughly 90 days.

The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) has introduced a new classification – the C-49 contractors’ license replaces the C-61 and D-49 licenses.

This new classification is specifically for Tree and Palm Contractors – so if you’re a tree trimmer, planter, excavator, or otherwise are involved with maintaining trees in California, you need to acquire this license come the new year.

Here’s everything you need to know about the C-49 license that becomes active in California come Jan 1, 2024.

What Does the C-49 Classification Entail?

The new C-49 classification is designed for professionals who specialize in planting, maintaining, and removing trees and palms.

The main types of jobs covered by the C-49 contractors license include pruning, stump grinding, and the guying of trees, palms, or limbs.

With the current regulatory and ecological pressures facing the world, the CSLB aims to make this change to ensure that contractors in this growing field are well-versed in the highly detailed health and safety protocols pertinent to the tree service industry​​​.

How Do These Changes Affect Current C-61/D-49 Tree Service Contractors

If you currently hold a C-61/D-49 Tree Service classification, here’s what you need to know:

Do Nursery Workers Need A C-49 License?

It’s important to note that the C-49 license is NOT required for nursery workers who are trimming trees for sale.

As per the OAL Notice of Appeal: “This regulation does not apply to, and a license shall not be required for, incidental pruning of trees or guying of planted trees and their limbs by a nursery person or incidental pruning of trees by a gardener as described in Section 7026.1 of the Code.”

In short: if you trim or prune trees in a nursery, there’s no need to get the C-49 license. The C-49 license only pertains to people trimming trees in public and private spaces and pertains only to landscape or permanent fixtures, rather than vegetation cultivated for resale.

Note that nursery workers who are planting or removing trees or palms with the intention of landscaping must acquire a C-49 license to perform that work legally.

Additional Information and Resources

For more detailed information about the C-49 Tree and Palm Contractor classification and its requirements, visit the CSLB’s official C-49 classification description. To understand the current C-61/D-49 Tree Service classification, you can refer to the CSLB’s description of the D-49 classification.