CSLB B-2 License: A Guide To Residential Remodeling Licenses

If you’re planning on doing any residential remodeling work in California, it’s essential to have the proper licensing – in this case, a CSLB Class B-2 Residential Remodeling License.

The California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) regulates contractors in California and issues licenses to those who meet specific requirements. If you are working on any remodeling job that costs over $500, you need to have this license, or you can face serious financial and criminal penalties.

In this article, we’ll take a closer look at CSLB B-2 licenses.

What is a CSLB B-2 License?

A CSLB B-2 license is a state-issued license that allows individuals and businesses to perform residential remodeling work in California. 

This license classification includes – and is limited to – the construction, remodeling, and repair of residential structures that are up to three stories in height. 

What jobs can you do with a CSLB B-2 License?

Under a CSLB B-2 license, contractors can perform various remodeling tasks, including:

What jobs are not covered by a CSLB B-2 License?

However, this license classification does not allow contractors to perform structural work, including:

Contractors who wish to perform structural work must obtain additional licenses and certifications, such as the CSLB B or C licenses. 

You can find more information about what type of license you need for specific work at the CSLB website at cslb.ca.gov, or by contacting us directly.

Do I Need A B-2 License?

Any contractor who performs residential remodeling work in California must have a CSLB B-2 license. This includes general contractors, specialty contractors, and subcontractors who perform remodeling work. If a structure exists, and you are doing work on it, you can safely assume that you need a B-2 license.

Homeowners who plan to do remodeling work on their own homes do not need a license but must obtain any necessary permits and follow all applicable regulations. If you’re a homeowner hiring a contractor to do remodeling work, you should make sure you’re hiring someone with a CSLB Class B-2 License. 


Obtaining a CSLB B-2 license in California is a necessary step for contractors who want to perform residential remodeling work. 

By understanding the scope of work allowed under this license classification, you can ensure that you are operating legally and ethically. 

Remember that this license does not allow for structural work, and you may need additional licenses and certifications for those types of jobs. By following the steps and considerations outlined in this article, you can successfully obtain your license and start your career as a licensed residential remodeling contractor in California.